National Honor Society – Springfield High School
1. Sponsors- Sharon Tyson and Kate Gower
2. Goals- Promote appropriate recognition for students who reflect outstanding accomplishments in the areas of scholarship, character, leadership and service.
3. Activities- Induction ceremony in the spring for new members.
Distribute programs at graduation and assist with freshman orientation
Help with Read Across America celebration at Bransford Elementary School
Complete at least two group service projects during the year
4. Requirements for membership- members are selected by the NHS faculty council based on the following criteria:
The student must -
a. be a junior or senior
b. have a minimum GPA of 3.7500
c. have completed or be currently enrolled in 5 or more advanced courses* in at three different disciplines
d. exhibit honorable and admirable character
e. demonstrate leadership and a willingness to use their talents and skills for the improvement of society.
5. Dues- $10
6. Benefits- Students receive recognition for their achievements by one of the oldest and most widely recognized honor societies in the USA and the opportunity to participate in their scholarship programs. They also gain the opportunity to develop their leadership skills as they plan and implement service projects for the community.
*Advanced courses at SHS used for NHS selection
English 1, 2, 3, or 4 advanced
Algebra 1 or 2 advanced, Geometry advanced, Precalculus, Calculus
Biology I advanced, Biology II, Chemistry I advanced, Chemistry II, Physics
US History advanced
Any Advanced Placement (AP) course
2013-2014 National Society Officers: