National Honor Society –Springfield High School 2010-2011
1. Sponsors- Anne Finley and Sharon Tyson, since 2006
2. Goals- Promote appropriate recognition for students who reflect outstanding accomplishments in the areas of scholarship, character, leadership and service.
3. Activities- Induction ceremony in the spring for new members.
Distribute programs at graduation and assist with freshman orientation
Help with Read Across America celebration at Bransford Elementary School
Complete at least two group service projects during the year
4. Requirements for membership- members are selected by the NHS faculty council based on the following criteria:
The student must -
a. be a junior or senior
b. have a minimum GPA of 3.7500
c. have completed or be currently enrolled in 4 or more advanced courses* in at least two different disciplines (will change to 5 advanced courses in 2013)
d. exhibit honorable and admirable character
e. demonstrate leadership and a willingness to use their talents and skills for the improvement of society.
5. Dues- $10
6. Benefits- Students receive recognition for their achievements by one of the oldest and most widely recognized honor societies in the USA and the opportunity to participate in their scholarship programs. They also gain the opportunity to develop their leadership skills as they plan and implement service projects for the community.
*Advanced courses at SHS used for NHS selection
English 1, 2, 3, or 4 advanced
Algebra 1 or 2 advanced, Geometry advanced, Precalculus, Calculus
Biology I advanced, Biology II, Chemistry I advanced, Chemistry II, Physics
US History advanced
Amy Advanced Placement (AP) course
2012-2013 National Society Officers:
President- Natalie Spicer
Vice-president- Gary Noel, Jr.
Secretary- Shelby Hostettler
Historian- Haley Harrington